Saturday, August 20, 2011

Book Review

I just finished the book, "Sarah's Key" by Tatiana De Rosnay.  This book has been sitting on my shelves for quite a few months, and I finally decided it was time to read it (shortly after I found out that it was going to be made into a movie).  

 

This book was terribly depressing and hard to read.  It was extremely touching and emotional, and I found myself unable to put it down even though it hurt my heart with every page that I turned.  

In this book, French police officers raid homes in France to round-up all of the Jewish families.  These families are eventually split apart and sent to concentration camps like Auschwitz.  
When the French police officers came to the home of Sarah Starzynski, she hid her little brother into a secret hiding spot in the wall promising that she would come back for him.  She had no idea where they were going, and always assumed they would come right home and she would let him out.  

The book also follows a journalist, Julia Jarmond, who is researching the round-up for an anniversary article that she is writing.  She realizes rather quickly that this event is one that is barely talked about in French history.  As she researches the events in history, she also discovers Sarah's story.  

While this story was a tough read (emotionally), I would recommend it to others!

No comments:

Post a Comment